I am living a healthy and happy retirement life drawing on my life experiences to be an active and engaged member of the community. I look for fun and fulfilling activities that embraces life to the fullest.
My Main Motivators
- Live the life that is uniquely my own and not defined by others.
- Live a fun active retirement doing the things I love.
- Volunteer with organizations that support my passions.
- Live a life that makes a difference for those around me and in my community.
My main obstacles
- Controlling my ESTJ (supervisor/executive) personality type that over manages and controls without much flexibility.
- Being uncertain of what retirement life will actually mean to me.
- Be comfortable with my community and with my involvement in the community.
- Restricting over commitments and over extending myself which is my nature.
- General fear of the unknown; going from a more structured, known work life to a less structured retired life.
My Strategies to Overcome my Obstacles
- Make a concerted effort to under commit and under schedule allowing for fun time.
- Seek guidance from others on a happy meaningful retirement; possibly from a life coach.
- Spend a good bit of time this coming year reflecting on what is really important in my life.
- Feel freer to do new things but always set and respect boundaries to avoid doing too much.
- Always ask myself, “Is this really fun?” acknowledging that fun is the word I want to frame my life around.
- Live a happy retirement. [Details…]
- Live a fun active life. [Details…]
- Live a happy healthy life. [Details…]
My Goals in Detail
Goal #1: Live a happy retirement.
- Use my life experiences, love of volunteerism, and my talents to enjoy a purposeful rewarding retirement that benefits both me and my community.
- Explore engaging a life coach to help me achieve my life goals in retirement.
Goal #2: Live a fun active life.
- Engage a fitness coach/trainer to help me be a fit person.
- Ride my bike, run, hike or engage in at least 3 days of fun physical activity every week.
- Enjoy a variety of bicycle tours as a participant and leader/guide to celebrate my retirement.
- Cycle at least 2,017 miles in 2017.
- Cycle at least three 7 day touring events of 200+ miles.
- Participate or become involved with a charity cycling event in my area.
- Find and/or build a cycling community in my area that benefits the community and my wellness.
- Return to running regularly at least 1 day/ week for 3+ miles.
- Run at least 200 miles in 2017.
- Find a running community in my area that matches my age, fitness level and running style.
- Complete at least one half marathon and 5 shorter races.
- Hike at least 1 day/ week for 3+ miles.
- Hike and snowshoe at least 200 miles in 2017.
- Join a local hiking group and regularly participate in organized hikes at least twice a month.
- Widen my area of hiking and knowledge of the trails in central and southern Ohio.
Goal #3: Live a happy healthy life.
- Decrease stress by using my time better and eliminating over committing to others.
- Find fun new things to do.
- Engage in more family activities with my husband.
- Deepen my photography skills by participating in photography training and meet-ups.
- Return to active blogging with a focus on enjoying retirement years on a bike and in the outdoors.
- Determine what faith means to me and explore local faith communities.
- Commit to a healthier diet by eating more natural foods and avoiding processed foods.