I am a happy, healthy person who draws on my talents,
life experiences and passions to motivate myself and
others to be mentally, emotionally and physically fit.
Goal #1: Maintain an active social networking presence focusing on the importance of taking personal responsibility for a healthy active life after bariatric surgery.
- Actively participate in social networking (Facebook, Twitter, Obesity Help, etc.) within the bariatric community.
- Regularly blog on living a healthy active life as a post-op bariatric patient.
Goal #2: Enrich my life through interpersonal relationships, growing my support network, and enjoying my free time with friends and family.
- Regularly attend and actively participate in bariatric support groups
- Regularly attend cycling, running, hiking and photography group events
- Allocate quality time for friends and family
Goal #3: Embrace a healthy eating mentality that focuses on bariatric dietary principles.
- Choose foods that are high protein, high fiber, low fat, and low sugar
- Eat less red meat, more lean protein meats, fish and vegetarian foods avoiding processed foods
- Return to and maintain a BMI less than 30.0 and a weight of 191 pounds.
Goal #4: Advance my level of physical fitness while encouraging others to embrace a more active life through cycling, hiking, running and other physical activities.
- Complete six 5K races, two 10K races, and my first half marathon; most likely the Akron Marathon
- Participate in the 2013 MS Pedal to the Point, Greene Trails Cycling Classic, and GOBA.
- Cycle at least 1,500 miles in 2013 with a stretch goal of 2,000 miles including at least one century cycling event
- Work with cycling, governmental and other organizations to define and begin growing advocacy in the Akron cycling community
- Support others through my leadership and participation in the Spin-Offs and Movin’ Forward
- Expand my hiking routine and increase intensity and distance by hiking at least 2 hikes a month