welcome to bandlandia

Hello folks! I am back from the hospital fitted with my lapband. The term bandlandia comes from on-line communities where the surgery is discussed. It signals a person’s movement from pre to post surgery.

My operation went smoothly. Brett and I were up early to be at the Summa same day surgery center at 6:00 a.m. Time went pretty fast. Within 15 minutes I was changed into a hospital gown in an exam room. Two nurses spent about 45 minutes preparing me. I was very nervous. It took me back to my emergency room visit when I had my heart attack. Around 7:40 a.m. they wheeled me to the operating room.

The operating room was definitely scary. It was a strange experience laying on a table and staring up at 3 two foot wide lights and surrounded by flat panel computer monitors. As I looked around a nurse was preparing a table with what looked like a 100 surgical implements. The nurses sensed my nervousness. It was so cold. They did put a warm blanket over me. The nurse anesthetist was good at calming me. We talked about weight loss and CPAP. The next thing I knew I was awake in the recovery room

The operation took 2 hours and I spent about 90 minutes in the recovery room. I was in 4 East before noon. I remember 4 East… the coronary telemetry floor. As they wheeled my bed down that hall, I recalled the other times I had the same view. The nurses in this unit are so good. My nurses Jen and Lindsay were super. I was able to walk just before 2:00 p.m. It was a constant flow of people taking blood, giving me pain meds, respiratory therapy, and taking my vitals through the rest of the day and night. If you have ever been hospitalized, you know that it is no place to get a good rest.

On Thursday morning I had an upper GI at 7:00 a.m. to confirm the band placement. The ladies there remembered me from my pre-surgery upper GI and commented on how well I looked the morning after surgery. It also went smoothly. Dr. Z, Debbie and Noel from the Bariatric Center were there to read the test and talk to me. The x-ray verified everything was perfect. I was back in my room for some education from the Bariatric Center on “eating” throughout the day so that I could begin my liquid diet of water; sugar free Jell-o, decaf tea and crystal Light. I continue on this 200 calorie diet until Sunday morning. I was released around 3:00 p.m. after some home care education by the Bariatric Center.

I am home in a little pain, puffed like the Michelin Tire guy and hungry as hell. I am not having any problems other than some discomfort but I have plenty of pain meds. I can’t wait for Sunday morning and some cream of Wheat, cottage cheese and yogurt!

Brett was super during this process. He spent the whole day with me both days only leaving for brief periods. He looked after my every need. That’s why I love him so much. The flowers came from Mike and Greg. They really made my day in the hospital. I didn’t expect to receive any. It was such a nice surprise. They are super friends. Thanks guys!

(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)

1 Comment

  1. Terri July 19, 2008 at 12:05 pm

    I am so glad you got through your surgery so well. I wish you a speedy and uneventful recovery.


Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *