Sarah Palin is perhaps the most dangerous person to run for Vice President ever. She is an ultra-conservative, Pentecostal right wing candidate who would wipe out rights for many Americans if given the power to do so. Her stands on women’s and LGBT issues is chilling. Although I don’t think people vote for a candidate because of the Vice President, I think it is notable in this election. John McCain is a 72 year old man who has survived cancer 4 times. What are the odds that he will complete even his first term if elected?
Claim vs. Fact
- “Hockey mom”: True for a few years
- “PTA mom”: True years ago when her first-born was in elementary school, not since
- “NRA supporter”: Absolutely true
- Social conservative: mixed. Opposes gay marriage, but vetoed a bill that would have denied benefits to employees in same-sex relationships (said she did this because it was unconsitutional).
- Pro-creationism: Mixed. Supports it, but did nothing as governor to promote it.
- “Pro-life”: Mixed. Knowingly gave birth to a Down’s syndrome baby but declined to call a special legislative session on some pro-life legislation.
- “Experienced”: Some high schools have more students than Wasilla has residents. Many cities have more residents than the state of Alaska. No legislative experience other than City Council. Little hands-on supervisory or managerial experience; needed help of a city administrator to run town of about 5,000.
- Political maverick: Not at all.
- Gutsy: Absolutely!
- Open and transparent: ??? Good at keeping secrets. Not good at explaining actions.
- Has a developed philosophy of public policy: No.
- “A Greenie”: No. Turned Wasilla into a wasteland of big box stores and disconnected parking lots. Is pro-drilling off-shore and in ANWR.
- Fiscal conservative: Not by my definition!
- Pro-infrastructure: No. Promoted a sports complex and park in a city without a sewage treatment plant or storm drainage system. Built streets to early 20th century standards.
- Pro-tax relief: Lowered taxes for businesses, increased tax burden on residents
- Pro-small government: No. Oversaw greatest expansion of city government in Wasilla’s history.
- Pro-labor/pro-union: No. Just because her husband works union doesn’t make her pro-labor. I have seen nothing to support any claim that she is pro-labor/pro-union.